TwitterLinkedInBlog

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

SP2010 Beta - There has been an error creating the personal site.

When I click the "My Content" link, it returns the error, "There has been an error creating the personal site. Contact your site administrator for more information."

Edit:
You might just be able to add the managed path "personal" (with no "my" in front) to the web application. I would have to test this.

Resolution:
(Adopted from Creating new My Site hosts for MOSS 2007)

1.Create a new web application

2.Delete managed path: sites - Wildcard inclusion

3.Create managed paths:
my - Explicit inclusion
personal - Wildcard inclusion

4.Create a site collection at /my/ managed path. Use Enterprise > My Site Host template. Use web application created above. Title: Pilot My Site Host.

5.Create a blank site collection at the / managed path to enable self-service site creation. Use Collaboration > Blank Site template. Use web application created above. Title: Pilot Blank site.

6.Enable Self-Service Management. Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Web Applications > Click on Web Application created above > Ribbon > Self-Service Site Creation > On > OK.

7.Navigate to My Site Settings. Central Administration > Application Management > Manage service applications > User Profile Service Application > Setup My Sites > My Site Host > http://mossdev1:25000/my/. Note that this points to the URL for the explicit inclusion path and My Site Host Template site collection you created above. Set Personal site Location into just "personal". Note that this points to the URL (after SharePoint puts context to it) for the Wildcard inclusion managed path you created above. Choose the 2nd Site Naming Format: User name (resolve conflicts by using domain_username).

3 comments:

Jon said...

Excellent, this fixed my problem. It even worked with my custom managed paths. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. This fixed my problem as well. I'd had quite a bit of trouble with this and the key was step 5 - creating the blank site collection.

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks so much! I have spent hours on this issue today. This solved it!